Radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas produced by the breakdown of thorium and uranium in soil, rock, and water. It is also the only gas under standard conditions that have radioactive isotopes and is considered a health hazard due to its radioactivity level.
Air pressure inside a building is usually lower than the air pressure outside, this causes a vacuum effect. This is especially common during cold months because the air inside your home is under negative pressure pulling radon gas from the soil into your home through foundation cracks and other openings. Even if there are no visible cracks in the foundation, it is possible to still have high radon levels in a building because radon is able to permeate through concrete.
According to the American Lung Association, 21,000 people a year die of radon-induced lung cancer. Radon is the leading cause of lung cancer for non-smokers and the second leading cause of lung cancer for smokers. The surgeon General and EPA recommend testing for radon and reducing radon in homes. Any exposure has some risk of causing lung cancer but the lower the radon level the lower your family is at risk.
According to the National Health Council, Radon gas decays into radioactive particles that can get trapped in your lunch when you breathe. As they break down further, these particles release small amounts of energy. This damages the tissue in your lungs and can lead to lung cancer over time.
Test Test Test!! Test the radon levels in your home, school and workplace. Once you have the levels testing there are simple solutions to correct the radon problems. Radon Investigators can help test the levels in your home.